Even John Kerry and Ted Kennedy claim that Jefferson said “Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.”
“As Jefferson himself noted, ‘So many persons have of late found an interest or a passion gratified by imputing to me sayings and writings which I never said or wrote…’”
Monticello.org claims that Jefferson never said it. Something Jefferson *DID* say about dissent:
“Political dissension is doubtless a less evil than the lethargy of despotism: but still it is a great evil,”
The quote being misattributed to Jefferson *MAY* have originated from a former ACLU president, Nadine Strossen, who wrongly claimed in a 1991 interview with the Boston Globe:
And I do think that what Thomas Jefferson said is true, “Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.”
So…Why do libs wrongly attribute “dissent is the highest form of patriotism” to Thomas Jefferson?
Thanks for the quotes, evilindependent, but you didn’t answer the question. Why do libs wrongly attribute the “dissent” quote to Jefferson…*WHY*?
Shaz, it seems that you are giving libs a pass for the wrongful attribution.
tribecca belle, perhaps you should read again Jefferson’s actual quote regarding “dissent” (see the Monticello.org quote).
Wow Gary G…got anymore insight on the “dissent” quote? That was brilliant…not.
- Was Thomas Jefferson Really A Rapist? asked: I’m not speaking from any documented sources but...
- Finish the quote by Thomas Jefferson? allways_confused* asked: This was said by Thomas Jefferson. I had...
- How do we know that Sally Hemmings gave birth to Thomas Jefferson’s son and not his nephew or cousin? Dingo Warrior asked: When were all the other Jefferson men...
- Did Thomas Jefferson, imagine the Government would have 25 million employees all collecting entitlement wages? AF1 Pizza asked: Or that Monticello was the model for...
- Atheists! Did you know about the famous Thomas Jefferson misquote? asked: I didn’t know about it either! http://www.ocregister.com/news/jefferson-323913-quote-one.html The...